The Cultural Advisory Committee promotes cultural awareness in all functions at the Sanford Underground Research Facility. The Committee advises the South Dakota Science and Technology Authority on such things as diversity in the workforce, outreach to tribal communities, and raising cultural awareness about the significance of the Black Hills to regional tribes.
The Committee’s recommendations assist the SDSTA Board and key stakeholders in developing cultural awareness activities, including education and outreach programming and recruitment of underrepresented groups.
Members of the Committee include educators, community members and state government representatives. Sanford Lab staff serve as ex officio members of the committee.
Roles and responsibilities of the Cultural Advisory Committee:
- Increase the diversity of Sanford Lab’s workforce.
- Promote science education to South Dakota tribal students and teachers.
- Ensure current operations and future plans are sensitive to the region’s cultural heritage.
- Review Cultural Awareness Programs at Sanford Lab and prioritize initiatives.
- Review effectiveness of public and education outreach programs as they pertain to tribal communities.
Reviews are conducted by Cultural Advisory Committee members and selected external cultural experts as deemed necessary.