The Accountant reports to the Chief Financial Officer and provides accounting and payroll support.
Functional Responsibilities (include but are not limited to)
Monitors accounts and prepares financial statements.
- Compiles and analyzes financial information to prepare entries to accounts and document transactions.
- Establishes, maintains, and coordinates the implementation of accounting and accounting control procedures.
- Monitors and reviews accounting and related system reports for accuracy and completeness.
- Prepares and reviews revenue, expense, payroll entries, invoices, and other accounting documents.
- Prepares balance sheet, accounting records, and financial statements.
- Reconciles the accounting system and other revenue/expenditure tracking systems.
- Interacts with internal and external auditors in completing audits.
Monitors purchasing and inventory activity to ensure compliance with accounting procedures.
- Prepares requisitions and monitors receiving vouchers.
- Accounts for receipt of goods and payment of vendors.
- Explains billing invoices and accounting policies to staff, vendors, and clients.
Accounts Payable & Receivable
- Reviews invoices and enters data in accounting system.
- Pays invoices by writing checks and initiating electronic deductions.
- Calculates and prepares invoices for reimbursement of funds.
- Drafts memos to explain expenditures.
- Tracks contractor and consultant payments to ensure payment amounts are within limits.
- Files paid vouchers.
Banking & Account Reconciliation
- Prepares credit applications and tax exemption forms to set up new vendor accounts.
- Prepares, verifies, and makes bank deposits.
Purchase Orders & Travel Vouchers
- Prepares travel vouchers and tracks per diem and expenses.
Payroll & Leave Tracking
- Enters hours worked into payroll system and processes payroll.
- Enters ACH information on bank website for payroll deposits and automatic tax payments.
- Contacts staff to ensure all leave slips received prior to processing payroll.
- Files payroll information.
- Files certified payroll reports.
Payroll Expenses & Reports
- Makes electronic payments to the South Dakota Retirement System.
- Completes federal tax reports.
- Prepares W-2’s and 1099’s at yearend.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting; or a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related field with at least 12 semester hours of accounting coursework.
- Two years of experience in accounting.
- Attention to Detail—Ability to pay careful attention to details and complete tasks in an accurate, complete, and timely manner.
- Organization—Ability to prioritize tasks, manage time, keep order, and coordinate a variety of activities.
- Information Seeking—Ability to collect complete information about issues.
- Problem Solving—Ability to identify problems and use judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives to make sound recommendations.
- Initiative—Puts forth the effort required to achieve goals.
- Integrity—Conducts self in an honest, ethical, responsible, and respectful manner.
- Communication – Ability to convey information (in writing and orally) in a clear, understandable manner.
- Customer Service—Ability to interact courteously with customers and discover and address their needs.
The South Dakota Science & Technology Authority (SDSTA) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to the development of a diverse workforce. Applicants are invited to self-identify as an individual with a disability or as a protected veteran. Forms are available on the website www.sanfordlab.org/careers or upon request from Human Resources.