The Business Services and Contracts Department Manager leads the South Dakota Science and Technology Authority’s Business Services Department including the direct management of the SDSTA contracts, grants, and procurement activities. The Department works in close coordination with the SDSTA’s Finance and Human Resources Department and project managers in formation and administration of contracts, grants, and procurements to support timely execution of SDSTA activities. The Business Services Department Manager is responsible for managing and leading the planning and execution of the Department’s activities including the direct supervision of department staff. The Department Manager will interface directly with SDSTA federal and international partner organizations for the successful formation and administration of contracts and grants related to United States Government and internationally funded work.
Functional Responsibilities (include but are not limited to)
The primary duties for this assignment include:
- Leads the development, management, and training of Laboratory business services related objectives, policies, and procedures including negotiation with staff and collaborators to support the execution of SDSTA activities.
- Serves as the direct supervisor for contracts and procurement staff. This includes the management of staff assignments, performance management, staff planning, hiring, goal setting and reviews, assigning and directing work, and resolving problems.
- Serves in the capacity as the SDSTA Contracts Manager, leads the establishment, oversight, and administration of SDSTA contracts, agreements, and procurements. Ensures that SDSTA contracts, grants, and procurements are well formed and managed and adhere to applicable rules, regulations, and policies and are well coordinated with financial management, legal staff, and project controls functions.
- Ensures SDSTA requests for proposals (RFPs), contracts, and grants satisfy insurance and safety requirements of the Property Donation Agreement (PDA) with Homestake Mining Company.
- Leads the establishment of policies, processes, procedures, and forms required to support department operations. Provides training to the SDSTA staff on contracting and procurement policies and procedures.
- Develops and manages Department budgets and schedules and provides weekly and monthly reporting as required.
The Business Services and Contracts Manager has the following authority:
- To define the strategic goals, objectives and activities of the Business Services Department.
- To identify resource requirements and commit staffing to achieve the department’s goals and objectives.
- To issue solicitations, contracts, purchase orders, and other agreements on behalf of SDSTA.
- To direct the hiring, training, assignment, and management of employees needed to meet the responsibilities of the Business Services Department and the strategic goals of SDSTA.
- To stop work upon recognition of a condition that presents imminent danger to the health and safety of staff, the public, or the environment.
The Business Services and Contracts Manager is accountable to the following:
- To the Executive Director for the department’s performance.
- To funding agency contract representatives for prompt and accurate responses.
- To budget managers for timely, effective and compliant purchasing and contracting services.
- To assigned staff for administrative direction and guidance in the performance of their duties.
A Bachelor’s Degree in a field related to contracts administration and management, staff planning, administration, or management is required. Significant directly related experience in lieu of a degree will be considered.
A minimum of ten years experience is required in a field related to contracts administration is desired. Experience in establishing and administering federal government related contracts and grants including an understanding of contracts under the United States Government’s Federal Acquisition Regulation (and agency specific supplements) and/or Federal financial assistance agreements such as cooperative agreements is required. The SDSTA deals with Department of Energy (DOE) related contracts and cooperative agreements and experience related to DOE contracts is desired.
Proficiency in the use of office computer systems including software such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) is required.
- Attention to Detail—ability to maintain constant awareness of surroundings and ensure tasks are completed carefully and accurately.
- Organization—ability to prioritize tasks, manage time, and keep order and coordinate numerous activities including coordination of priorities to staff.
- Communication—unquestioned ability to communicate well both orally and in writing and with a wide variety of people. Ability to present complex topics simply and appropriately to review panels, scientists, and senior agency officials.
- Decision Making—ability to assess situations, evaluate options, choose most appropriate course of action, and effectively communicate decisions to staff.
- Initiative—ability to persist despite difficult conditions and to make suggestions for improvements.
- Adaptability—ability to effectively adjust to changing priorities and demands and work independently to solve problems and keep management informed of progress and status. Ability to accept criticism from review panels tactfully and to adjust plans as appropriate.
- Influence—ability to gain acceptance or support for ideas, projects, and solutions.
- Mentoring—ability to advise and instruct staff in the development of their skills to assist in furthering their abilities as members of the Department.
- Team Building—ability to build an effective team and provide focus and leadership to instill a strong team environment to successfully lead the Department.
Successful applicant will be required to provide proof of a valid driver’s license.
The South Dakota Science & Technology Authority (SDSTA) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to the development of a diverse workforce. Applicants are invited to self-identify as an individual with a disability or as a protected veteran. Forms are available on the website www.sanfordlab.org/careers or upon request from Human Resources.