The Electrical Engineer position will perform engineering design and engineering management for the Sanford Underground Research Facility (SURF). The incumbent will contribute to the development of requirements for a wide variety of existing lab/infrastructure operations and maintenance functions as well as underground scientific research programs and experiments. The position will work directly with facility operations and maintenance personnel to establish engineering best practices for maintenance and operations of the existing infrastructure including safety critical systems. The position will also work directly with scientific, safety, and project staff for planning and development of new experiment-related equipment and infrastructure. This position has responsibility for ensuring sound engineering practices are applied to projects and operations throughout the facility.
Functional Responsibilities (includes but are not limited to)
- Reporting to the Director of Engineering, independently execute electrical, controls, and communications systems engineering analysis and planning.
- Undertake and deliver high quality engineering design for electrical building services and power distribution systems, including calculations, analysis, schematics, drawings, diagrams, models, specifications and other documents required.
- Develop concepts for preliminary and detailed engineering design for surface and underground electrical and communications infrastructure to support science and engineering research programs and experiments.
- Prepare technical reports, construction cost estimates, and cost analysis.
- In the role of Owner's Representative, providing oversight and coordination for scope definition and contract management of out-sourced production of detailed specifications, engineering design, construction, and maintenance documents, including engineering analyses, engineering studies, safety and environmental compliance, drawings and specifications, etc.
- Evaluate electrical components proposed for installation at the facility, either approving or offering recommendations for modifications to obtain approval.
- Professional peer review of reports, designs, drawings etc. prepared by other SURF staff.
- Provide support for the evaluation of electrical hazards and development of appropriate controls to mitigate or eliminate risks.
- Use electrical engineering design software to develop electrical system one-line diagrams, demand load studies, short circuit studies, relay coordination, time current curves, and arc flash evaluations.
- Assess existing infrastructure and systems operations and related energy use analysis and develop energy saving performance and conservation solutions.
- Monitors and maintains the Laboratory electrical systems to ensure compliance with electrical safety standards and applicable electrical codes.
- A BS degree in Electrical Engineering is required. A master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or a closely related field is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in electrical engineering.
- Professional Engineering (PE) registration is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in engineering including planning, design, budgeting, and scheduling in one or more of the following areas: design, construction, and operation of high voltage distributions and building services systems, research facilities and laboratories; engineering for complex industrial facilities; large, state or federally funded facility construction projects; design, programming and installation of SCADA and other industrial and building management/control systems.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD or related engineering design software.
- Thorough understanding and practical experience with NEC (NFPA 70 & 70E) and OSHA (1910 & 1926) electrical safety regulations.
Successful applicant will be required to:
- Perform some physical labor and some lifting of heavy items.
- Work in all types of conditions (heat, humidity, wet, cold).
- Work in a shaft environment where depths reach 5000’.
- Work from ladders, scaffolding, and in confined places.
- Work underground.
- Provide proof of a valid driver’s license.
The South Dakota Science & Technology Authority (SDSTA) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to the development of a diverse workforce. Applicants are invited to self-identify as an individual with a disability or as a protected veteran. Forms are available on the website www.sanfordlab.org/careers or upon request from Human Resources.