The Multimedia Specialist works with a variety of audio-visual and design equipment; creates and organizes digital media for Sanford Lab. Produces audio/video, photography and graphics, website and virtual content for all communications channels. The position duties are heavily weighted toward video production; however, the successful applicant will be expected to perform in other areas of visual media. Duties encompass workflows for all types of photography, video production and graphic design.
Must be able to work with a team and independently to shoot and edit video. Work includes set up and operation of production gear, audio set-up and mixing, and rigging and adjusting lights. The Multimedia Specialist also creates, prepares and edits media for internal and external use in social media, websites, exhibits and presentations. This position will assist in setup and promotion of public outreach events including Neutrino Day, Deep Talks and Nobel Day. The position works within the Communications Department on a variety of projects.
Functional Responsibilities (include but are not limited to)
Videography and audio productions
- Shoots video in industrial and laboratory settings.
- Edits video projects.
- Animates graphics and text for videos.
- Records and mixes audio.
- Creates content for internal and external audiences.
- Sets up lighting and studio sets.
- Maintains and cares for production equipment.
- Shoots digital photography.
- Prepares digital photographs for a variety of formats including websites, presentations and print materials (newsletters, brochures, flyers, posters, etc.).
- Prepares graphics and designs for print, web and video.
- Creates content and design concepts for websites and print media.
- Creates content for Sanford Lab social media and other online activities.
- Creates digital artwork and illustration.
- Organizes and catalogs digital assets.
- Assists in event planning and setup.
Education & Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, video production, graphic design or related field.
Experience: Shows proficiency in the following areas
- Shooting, editing and producing video and still digital photography.
- Creating time-lapse video and 360/VR video.
- Use of audio/visual equipment, including projection and sound systems for public presentations.
- Creating computer-generated animations.
- Designing print materials, including flyers, posters, brochures and newsletters.
- Preparing projects for print and reproduction.
- Final Cut Pro/Premiere Pro and related audio/video software.
- Adobe Creative Cloud programs, including Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
- Experience with live and virtual events is a plus.
- Experience with Drupal/web design is a plus.
- Organization—prioritize tasks, manage time, and coordinate a variety of ongoing activities.
- Attention to detail—pay careful attention to details and complete tasks accurately.
- Imaginative—produce creative and innovative products.
- Problem solving—troubleshoot and solve design problems.
- Collaboration—work with other professionals from a variety of disciplines, including Sanford Lab staff, members of scientific collaborations, media outlets and the general public.
- Communication—convey information (in writing and orally) in a clear, understandable manner.
- Adaptability—effectively adjust to changing priorities, demands and industry trends.
- Safety—learn, understand and comply with the Sanford Laboratory's safety programs.
- Accountability—meet deadlines and provide timely progress reports on work activities.
The Multimedia Specialist will work in a typical office setting. However, the position also requires a demonstrated ability to work independently and at various locations. Some duties will require work underground or in construction zones. Some work on evenings and weekends during special events will be required.
Successful incumbent will be required to:
- Perform limited physical labor and lifting
- Stays current on safety and employee related training
- Work underground
- Work in all types of conditions (heat, humidity, wet, cold)
- Work evenings and weekends as scheduled
- Provide proof of a valid driver’s license
Portfolios will be required of applicants selected for final interviews.
Send resumé, cover letter and work samples to email@example.com. Or apply at www.sanfordlab.org/careers.
The South Dakota Science & Technology Authority (SDSTA) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to the development of a diverse workforce. Applicants are invited to self-identify as an individual with a disability or as a protected veteran. Forms are available on the website www.sanfordlab.org/careers or upon request from Human Resources.