The Network Engineer’s role is to ensure the stable operation of the Sanford Laboratory computer network. This includes planning, installing, configuring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all network hardware, software, and communication links. This person will also analyze and resolve end-user network-related hardware and software computer problems in a timely and accurate fashion. Must have the ability to analyze and isolate issues and monitor networks to ensure security and availability to all users.
The Network Engineer supports on-site engineering, installation, configuration, and administration of Sanford Laboratory networking resources including surface and underground networking equipment. The Network Engineer also provides support to computer systems administration activities in a backup role.
The South Dakota Science and Technology Authority is looking for an experienced networking professional with a proven history of complex system design and implementation with a strong emphasis on network security. Candidates must have strong technical knowledge, excellent communication skills, and a teamwork emphasis.
Functional Responsibilities (included but not limited to)
Supports development of networking plans, strategies and IT Security activities.
- Researches and documents user networking requirements and assists the Science user support staff in collecting and documenting science experiment-related networking requirements.
- Advises management on the current state of the Laboratory networking systems and recommends networking solutions to address new requirements and enhance security, to increase efficiency and to ensure secure network availability to all users.
- Develops and implements IT security plans in accordance with industry standards and best practices.
- Implements and maintains security controls and monitoring. Develops, documents, maintains, and implements security incident reporting and management practices.
- Configure and perform diagnostics on network infrastructure components.
- Perform hardware fault isolation and repair when necessary.
- Understand and troubleshoot the following network layers, technologies, and system protocols: TCP/IP, UDP/IP, BGP, OSPF, SNMP, SSL, HTTP, FTP, SSH, Syslog, DHCP, DNS, RDP, NETBIOS, IP routing, Ethernet, switched Ethernet, 802.11x, NFS, and VLANs.
- Understand and maintain network security appliances (firewalls, VPN, etc.) and the concepts and procedures for network security.
- Maintain and support wireless network access technologies, equipment, and tools.
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated and able to complete tasks with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ensure all systems and networks comply with South Dakota Science & Technology Authority’s computer and network security requirements.
- Ability to work well within a team, possessing a good team spirit, as well as demonstrating self-management and flexibility in taking on new challenges.
- CCNA routing/switching preferred (continuing education and previous experience considered in lieu of).
- Experience supporting a multi-vendor environment including Linux, VMWare, Juniper, Cisco, ForeScout and Fortigate systems.
- CCNA Support and troubleshooting of routing and switching enterprise technologies in complex networking environments.
- Understanding and troubleshooting abilities for routing protocols (BGP, OSPF, MPLS, Layer 3 switching).
- Understanding and troubleshooting abilities for VPNs, Firewalls, Layer2/3 switches, WAN issues.
- Experience conducting packet analysis (utilizing Wireshark, TCPdump, or other tools).
- Experience with optimizing high speed, high latency network transfers.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- BA/BS in computer science, information technology, engineering, or a related field.
- CCNA certified.
- 7-10 years of experience in network design, implementation and administration.
- Work in all types of conditions (heat, humidity, wet, cold).
- Work from ladders, scaffolding, and in confined places.
- Work underground occasionally.
- Provide proof of a valid driver’s license.
The South Dakota Science & Technology Authority (SDSTA) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to the development of a diverse workforce. Applicants are invited to self-identify as an individual with a disability or as a protected veteran. Forms are available on the website www.sanfordlab.org/careers or upon request from Human Resources.