The Senior Contracts Specialist will prepare, monitor, and administer complex contracts, grants, financial assistance agreements, and purchase orders in collaboration with the Department of Energy (DOE), DOE National Laboratories, universities, contractors, vendors and SDSTA staff. The Senior Contracts Specialist reports to the Business Services and Contracts Manager for the South Dakota Science and Technology Authority (SDSTA).
Functional Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
Contract Preparation and Administration
- Leads development and administration of complex procurements for services and construction activities in support of the SDSTA mission.
- Prepares and manages Request for Proposals and Request for Bids documents.
- Leads the selection process to ensure fair and open competition.
- Communicates with potential bidders in a way that ensures the integrity of the procurement process and encourages full and open competition.
- Records and answers pre-proposal and pre-bid meeting questions.
- Prepares, records and tracks contracts and related documents (change orders, amendments, invoices, waivers, insurance certificates, etc.).
- Organizes and maintains contract documentation document management system.
- Monitors impending expiration dates for contract documents and provides follow-up.
- Compiles and analyzes financial information to inform budget/project managers.
- Reviews contract requirements and insurance certificates for compliance with the Property Donation Agreement between the Homestake Mining Company and SDSTA.
Federal and SDSTA Procurement Requirements
- Prepares procurement requests for assets requiring DOE approval in advance of purchase.
- Collaborates with DOE and National Laboratory staff to ensure accurate and timely procurements to enhance contracting relationships.
- Assists with tagging of federal assets upon receipt and supports property report management.
- Supports disposal of property that has not reached end of life.
- Recommends procurement process improvement opportunities.
- Documents departmental processes.
- Provides procurement training to SDSTA staff.
A Bachelor’s Degree in a field related to contracts administration and management, staff planning, administration, or management is required. Significant directly related experience in lieu of a degree will be considered.
- Advanced, senior-level contracts experience is required including preparing, issuing, tracking and monitoring complex contracts, grants and/or financial assistance agreements. Seven or more years of directly related experience required.
- Knowledge of federal and small business contracting requirements preferred. Experience with federal financial assistance agreements is desired.
- Experience with day-to-day office functions including finance, budgets, insurance, asset tracking, and accounting required.
- Excellent proofreading skills and strong analytical, problem-solving, and computer skills are essential.
- Advanced Adobe PDF and Microsoft Word and Excel experience is required.
- Attention to Detail—Advanced ability to pay careful attention to details and complete tasks in an accurate, complete, and timely manner at a level that does not require correction by others.
- Organization—Advanced ability to prioritize tasks, manage time, keep order, and coordinate a variety of activities across multiple work groups to manage complex procurements.
- Information Seeking—Ability to collect complete information about issues.
- Problem Solving—Ability to identify problems and use judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives to make sound recommendations.
- Initiative—Puts forth the effort required to achieve goals.
- Integrity—Conducts oneself in an honest, ethical, responsible, and respectful manner.
- Communication—Unquestioned ability to convey information (in writing and orally) in a clear, understandable manner.
- Customer Service—Ability to interact courteously with customers and discover and address their needs.
Successful applicant will be required to:
- Provide proof of a valid driver’s license.
The South Dakota Science & Technology Authority (SDSTA) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to the development of a diverse workforce. Applicants are invited to self-identify as an individual with a disability or as a protected veteran. Forms are available on the website www.sanfordlab.org/careers or upon request from Human Resources.