This year, Sanford Lab celebrates 10 years of Neutrino Day, our free science festival held in Lead, South Dakota, every year on the second Saturday of July. The festival includes hoistroom tours, science activities and exhibits, live video chats with scientists at Fermilab and underground at Sanford Lab, and presentations that focus on every day science hacks with Ariel Waldman and the engineering behind the Deep Underground Neutrino Experiment (DUNE) with Fermilab's Chris Mossey. We hope you can join us!
Tune in to SDPB's Innovations on Friday, July 13, from 10 a.m. to noon for a live broadcast with our speakers from the 4850 Level.
Special thanks to our generous sponsors and partners who made this event possible.
Schedule for Neutrino Day X, Saturday, July 14, 2018
Buses will be available to take visitors to various locations throughout Lead. Park downtown and ride the rest of the day! No personal vehicles will be allowed to park at Sanford Underground Research Facility.
8:30 a.m.-3 p.m.: Hoistroom tours
- Tours begin at the Visitor Center where guests will receive a ticket and specific time for their tour. The tours are free, but space is limited so you must sign up at the Visitor Center to secure a time. Visitors will board the Trolley for hoistroom tours.
9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Locations (all in Lead, South Dakota):
- Sanford Underground Research Facility (Shuttles from Visitor Center only)
- SDPB's Science Steve, Conference Room
- Displays and experiments, Conference Room
- Science videos—and popcorn!—classroom
- Sanford Lab Homestake Visitor Center, 160 W. Main Street
- Sign up for hoistroom tours (free tickets)
- Solar Telescope, Observation Deck
- Geology demonstrations, Observation Deck
- Blacksmithing demonstrations, outside
- Emergency Response Team demonstration, outside
- Gold panning, outside
- 10 a.m.: Live video chat with Fermilab, classroom
- Noon: Live video chat with underground, classroom
- 1:15 p.m.: Education and Outreach Demonstration, classroom
- All-in-One Event Center, 501 S. Main Street
- 9 a.m.-3 p.m.: Hands-on activities for all ages
- Historic Homestake Opera House, 313 W. Main Street
- Lead Library, 315 W. Main Street
- 9, 10, 11 a.m. and noon: Children’s reading activities
- Lead/Deadwood Arts Center, 309 W. Main
- 9 a.m.-3 p.m.: Art activity and selfie station