Primary access to South Dakota Science and Technology Authority/Sanford Underground Research Facility (SDSTA/SURF) is via E. Summit Street to the Yates Complex. Click here for directions. (Your GPS may misguide you.)
General visitor information
- All visitors must make an appointment with a sponsor prior to arrival.
- Appointments are verified upon arriving at the Yates or Ross Gate.
- Parking and check in information will be provided by Security at the Yates or Ross Gate.
- A REAL Identification (ID) Compliant Documents – a government-issued identification that provides proof of identity – is required to check in at the Front Desk in the Yates Administration Building. (How do I know if my license or identification card is REAL ID compliant?) Alternative forms of identification may include:
- A state-issued "Enhanced" driver's license may be an alternative for residents from Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, or Washington
- US Passport or Passport Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- Non-U.S. citizens must present a valid passport or Permanent Resident Card
- Homeland Security Presidential Directive 12 (HSPD-12) Personal Identification Verification (PIV) Card
Sponsors are SURF personnel that include SDSTA employees, project and experiment managers, or users who serve as a point of contact for individuals, groups or agencies visiting SURF. The sponsor is the host and responsible party for visitors during their time on site.
For visitors attending meetings
- When attending a meeting at the Yates Complex (Administration Building or Education & Outreach Building), stop at the Yates Main Gate/Guard House to acknowledge your arrival. You will be directed to check in either at the Yates Administration Building Front Desk or sign in at the meeting location. If you are issued a visitor card, turn it in before you leave.
- When attending a meeting at the Ross Complex, STOP at the Ross Main Gate. If there is no staff present, please do not enter. Call your sponsor.
A contractor is an individual or group not employed by the SDSTA but contracted or authorized to perform work on-site. Construction contractors must contact their sponsor prior to arriving at SURF.
You must complete the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (FNAL) ID process, prior to arriving at SURF. Call (605) 722-8650 or visit the FNAL website for more information.
The Sanford Underground Research Facility does not provide public tours. However, the Sanford Lab Homestake Visitor Center, 160 West Main Street in Lead, offers seasonal trolley tours of Lead, a drive through our surface campus and a guided visit to the Yates Shaft Hoistroom. For more information, contact the Sanford Lab Homestake Visitor Center at (605) 584-3110.