Primary access to South Dakota Science and Technology Authority/Sanford Underground Research Facility (SDSTA/SURF) is via E. Summit Street to the Yates Complex. Click here for directions. (Your GPS may misguide you.)
General visitor information
- All visitors must make an appointment with a sponsor prior to arrival.
- Appointments are verified upon arriving at the Yates or Ross Gate.
- Parking and check in information will be provided by staff at the Yates or Ross Gate.
- A valid government issued I.D. (such as a driver's license or military I.D) is required to check in.
- Non-U.S. citizens must present a valid passport or Permanent Resident Card.
Sponsors are SURF personnel (SDSTA employees, project managers, users) who serve as a point of contact for individuals, groups or agencies visiting SURF. The sponsor is the host and responsible party for visitors during their time on site.
For visitors attending meetings
- When attending a meeting at the Yates Complex (Administration Building or Education & Outreach Building), stop at the Yates Main Gate/Guard House to acknowledge your arrival. You will be directed to check in either at the Yates Administration Building Front Desk or sign in at the meeting location. If you are issued a visitor card, turn it in before you leave.
- When attending a meeting at the Ross Complex, STOP at the Ross Main Gate. If there is no staff present, please do not enter. Call your sponsor.
Construction contractors must contact their sponsor prior to arriving at the lab.
You must complete the FNAL ID process, prior to arriving at SURF. Click here for LBNF contractor information.
Call (605) 722-8650 for more information.
The Sanford Underground Research Facility does not provide public tours. However, the Sanford Lab Homestake Visitor Center, 160 West Main Street in Lead (at the Open Cut), offers trolley tours of Lead, a drive through our surface campus and a guided visit to the Yates Shaft Hoistroom. Trolley tours are available March through October, weather permitting. For more information, contact the Sanford Lab Homestake Visitor Center at (605) 584-3110.