The South Dakota Science and Technology Authority (SDSTA) owns and operates the Sanford Underground Research Facility (SURF). The Administrative Assistant provides clerical and administrative support to the Administrative Services Office and other departments. The Administrative Assistant performs duties and tasks that are predominately routine, applying some independent judgment and fundamental knowledge of concepts and practices following specific sets of procedures.
Line of Authority
The Administrative Assistant reports directly to the Administrative Services Manager.
Functional Responsibilities (include but are not limited to)
- Prepares meeting rooms and coordinates refreshments; assists with logistics for large meetings, events, field trips and workshops by contacting vendors, preparing standard materials, planning meals, and arranging on-site or off-site accommodations.
- Attends weekly meetings for various SDSTA departments and captures notes; responsible for transcribing formal minutes, as requested.
- Prepares basic correspondence, reports and other materials for departments.
- Proofreads and assures high quality and consistency.
- Assists with document formatting.
- Performs routine database input activities and basic record keeping by organizing and tracking standard information as it relates to office operation; generates standard reports, graphs or charts for manager’s review.
- Processes standard forms for travel ensuring completion and accuracy; processes expense reports for other departments, as requested.
- Assists with copy and filing tasks per request from various departments. Processes and distributes confidential and sensitive documents as requested.
- Assists with meeting room technology, virtual meeting setup, meeting invites, etc.
- Assists Environment, Safety and Health Department with Bridge training program; edits presentations and modifies program user access and other various duties.
- Provides support to the Outreach and Culture Department which may include coordinating volunteer assignments, event set-up and cleanup, strategizing for future improvements and other tasks.
- Coordinates the management of educational supplies and resources for the Education and Outreach Department including refurbishment and shipping of curriculum kits.
- Coordinates activities and events with staff at the Sanford Lab Homestake Visitor Center (SLHVC).
- Assists Foundation Director with other administrative support tasks as requested.
- Stocks breakrooms in the Administration and Education & Outreach Buildings.
- Acts as backup reception in the Administration Building and/or SLHVC, as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned by reporting supervisor.
The Administrative Assistant has the following accountabilities:
- To staff, visitors and users ensuring they are provided with administrative support services, such as clerical support, office and kitchen supply provision, document review, data entry and other requested tasks as appropriate.
- To the Administrative Services staff to ensure all members of the team are working together to address the administrative support needs of SURF and its various departments.
The Administrative Assistant has the following authorities:
- To coordinate with administrative teams to manage supplies and resources.
- To schedule shipping pick up and deliveries using designated accounts.
- To create and modify Trip Action Plans in coordination with the Operations Division.
- To stop work upon recognition of a condition that presents imminent danger to the health and safety of staff, the public or the environment.
- High school diploma or GED is required.
- Associates degree is desired and/or three (3) plus years of education, training or experience directly related to the functional responsibilities of this position.
- Experience using a Windows PC or Mac to create spreadsheets, compose messages, manage databases, etc; proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel) is required.
- Knowledge of English including spelling, grammar and composition. Experience in document editing and formatting is required.
- Experience working with Adobe Suite is helpful.
- Working knowledge of filing methods.
- Attention to Detail—Pays careful attention to details and completes tasks in an accurate, complete and timely manner.
- Communication—Communicates information clearly and concisely in writing, in person and on the telephone, exercising tact, patience, friendliness, discretion and professionalism.
- Cooperation—Establishes and maintains effective and cooperative working relationships, interacting in a supportive manner with staff, users and visitors.
- Customer Service—Interacts courteously with SDSTA staff and SURF partners and addresses their needs in a pleasant and efficient manner.
- Initiative—Ability to persist despite difficult conditions and to make suggestions for improvements.
- Integrity—Ability to appropriately process and protect sensitive information.
- Organization—Plans ahead and works in a systematic, organized way.
- Safety—Ability to learn, understand and comply with the SDSTA’s safety program.
- Proof of a valid driver’s license is required.
- Comply with SDSTA’s safety program.
- Act in accordance with SDSTA’s core values: Safety Focused, Care for Others, Professionalism and Being a Team Player.
- Perform work in a typical office environment with prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Perform limited physical labor including walking up and down flights of stairs and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Work independently with minimal supervision.
- Infrequent shift, evening, weekend and holiday work may be required.
The South Dakota Science & Technology Authority (SDSTA) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to the development of a diverse workforce. Applicants are invited to self-identify as an individual with a disability or as a protected veteran. Forms are available on the website www.sanfordlab.org/careers or upon request from Human Resources.