Discoveries are made every day at Sanford Underground Research Facility (SURF) and media help us tell our story.
Whether your story covers SURF’s world-leading science experiments, education and outreach programs, economic impacts or upcoming events, our Communications Department is the best resource to connect you to experts and provide the latest, accurate information about SURF.
This Press Kit outlines basic information, including how to refer to SURF and its partners, how to access digital resources, a list of helpful acronyms and links to more information. For additional information, please contact our Communications Department directly.
- Referring to the Sanford Underground Research Facility
- Referring to the South Dakota Science and Technology Authority
- Referring to the Sanford Underground Research Facility Foundation
- Sharing on social media
- Digital resources
- Helpful acronyms
- Helpful links
- Highlighted news stories
Referring to the Sanford Underground Research Facility
Sanford Underground Research Facility (SURF) hosts world-leading research experiments in Lead, South Dakota. SURF is operated by the South Dakota Science and Technology Authority (SDSTA) with funding from the Department of Energy. Our mission is to advance compelling underground, multidisciplinary research in a safe work environment and to inspire and educate through science, technology, and engineering.
On first reference, we are the Sanford Underground Research Facility; thereafter, it can be shortened to SURF (preferred) or Sanford Lab. Our facility’s official tagline is “America’s underground science laboratory.”
SURF’s dedicated underground scientific research facility is located at the former site of the Homestake Gold Mine. We are proud of this historic heritage; however, we request that you do not refer to the facility as “an abandoned gold mine.” Here’s why.
Referring to the South Dakota Science and Technology Authority
SURF is managed by the South Dakota Science and Technology Authority (SDSTA), a governor-appointed board of directors.
The SDSTA mission is to advance compelling underground, multidisciplinary research in a safe work environment and to inspire and educate through science, technology and engineering.
Referring to the Sanford Underground Research Facility Foundation
To help carry out SURF's Mission, the Sanford Underground Research Facility Foundation advances philanthropy to inspire and educate through science, technology and engineering.
The first reference to the foundation should be Sanford Underground Research Facility Foundation; thereafter, it can be shortened to SURF Foundation. The SURF Foundation is IRS-approved 501c3.
Sharing on social media
SURF has social media profiles on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube and Vimeo.
Frequently used, SURF-specific hashtags include: #SanfordLab #DeepScience #OptUnderground #4850Level
Many experiments, researchers and institutions have their own social media accounts.
Photos of the facility, experiments, public outreach events and more can be downloaded on our website’s photo gallery.
High resolution and vector logos.
Our video archives can be found on Vimeo and YouTube. Videos of particular interest include our Cultural Awareness Training, SURF promo and Education and Outreach Curriculum Modules.
Additional media is available upon request. Please contact our communications team directly.
We encourage the use of our visuals and request credit be given to Sanford Underground Research Facility and, when identified, the photographer.
Photo by Matthew Kapust, Sanford Underground Research Facility
Photo courtesy Sanford Underground Research Facility
For easy reference, we’ve compiled a chart of commonly used acronyms for experiments and departments at SURF. A full list of experiments at SURF can be accessed here.
- CASPAR – Compact Accelerator System for Performing Astrophysical Research
- DUNE – Deep Underground Neutrino Experiment
- E&O – Education and Outreach Department
- EGS – Enhanced Geothermal Systems
- LBNF– Long-Baseline Neutrino Facility
- LUX – Large Underground Xenon
- LZ – LUX-ZEPLIN
- SDSTA – South Dakota Science and Technology Authority
- SURF – Sanford Underground Research Facility
- WWTP – Wastewater Treatment Plant
We encourage you to explore our website, as it offers a wealth of information about our facility, our mission and our impacts throughout the region and the world. Here are a few links to get you started:
- Our story
- Our mission statement
- Our facility overview
- SURF Foundation webpage
- Recent press releases
- Recent updates
Highlighted news stories
A list of international news stories highlighting the science at SURF.
- 4850 Feet Below: The Hunt for Dark Matter, by Luke Groskin, Science Friday, Oct. 8, 2015. "4850 Feet Below" was done by Science Friday for National Public radio/television. It won the Raw Science short film award in 2015.
- Fiat LUX: The Search for Dark Matter, Raw Science, Oct. 8, 2014
- Former South Dakota mining town revitalized by underground science lab, CBS This Morning, Oct. 17, 2017
- Secrets of the universe may lie in an old gold mine in South Dakota, Katharine Lackey, USA Today, Aug. 9, 2017
- A Day in the Life of a Subterranean Astronaut, Mark Hanhardt, Interactions Collaboration, Sept. 14, 2018
- The Science of the Deep Underground Neutrino Experiment (DUNE), Fermilab, June 15, 2017