The Communications and Outreach Experiences in Science (CORES) Award is given annually by the Sanford Underground Research Facility to an individual, group, business or organization that demonstrates an ongoing commitment to public outreach efforts across the state.
The CORES Award selection committee considers ongoing support for public outreach—whether through sponsorships, donations, or service—in a way that demonstrates a passion for science and a visible commitment to outreach.
This commitment may include the following:
- Communication efforts that raise awareness about the sciences that are readily accessible to the general public:
- STEM events that engage the public in a public forum.
- STEM demonstrations/presentations intended to educate the public
- Content creation (video, blogs, etc.) that features the sciences and are developed for public education purposes.
- Donations, gifts-in-kind, and sponsorships that consistently support programming for public education in the sciences.
South Dakota Science and Technology Authority staff are not eligible for the award. This award is intended to recognize efforts in public outreach that raise awareness about science.