Steps to Get a SURF ID Access Badge
- Ask your Sponsor to complete a SURF Access Request Form (SARF). Your sponsor will contact you upon approval.
- Review Visitor information prior to arriving at the facility.
- Check in at the Yates Administration Building Front Desk and bring valid government-issued ID.
- Take the required training.
- Collect your SURF Access Badge at the Administration Building Front Desk after training is complete.
Environment, Safety and Health (ESH) training classifications are:
- SURF Orientation Training is required for any person performing work on the surface or underground. This training is provided at 7:30 a.m. Monday-Friday unless the facility is closed due to weather or holidays.
- General Safety Basic (GSB) training is required for any person performing more than 40 hours work on the surface or underground (in addition to SURF Orientation Training). Class is provided monthly by SURF. GSB training typically starts at 8 a.m.
- Annual Refresher Training, job-task or site-specific training for people working at SURF is conducted by the contractor's employer, researcher's sponsor, the Science Liaison Office or Environment, Safety and Health (ESH) staff.
Check here for a list of upcoming training provided by SURF.
Sanford Underground Research Facility may review and approve any training received off site.